Sunday, August 21, 2005

We'll Make the Best of What's Around

I took the title of my blog from a song that has held great meaning for me.

The Best of What's Around
By: The Dave Matthews Band

Hey my friend,
It seems your eyes are troubled.
Care to share your times with me?
Would you say you're feeling low and so
A good idea would be to get it off your mind.

See, you and me
Have a better time than most can dream,
Have it better than the best
And so can pull on through
Whatever tears at us,
Whatever holds us down,
And if nothing can be done,
We'll make the best of what's around.

Turns out not where but who you're with
That really matters,
And hurts not much when you're around.
And if you hold on tight
To what you think is your thing,
You may find you're missing all the rest.

She run up into the light surprised,
Her arms are open,
Her mind's eye is
Seeing things from a
Clearer side than most can dream,
On a better road I feel.
So you could say she's safe.
Whatever tears at her,
Whatever holds her down,
And if nothing can be done,
She'll make the best of what's around.

Turns out not where but what you think
That really matters,
And hurts not much when you're around.

Some might think that making the best of what's around means not looking to make things better, that you 'make do,' but it's not, at least not in this sense. You can only get to the next place by how you use what you have available to you where you are now.

I could look back on my life and bemoan why I didn't make different choices, yet I appreciate finally reaching a vantage point where I know that I made the best choices that I could have, given the tools that I had. Would I do differently now? Yes, for some of the situations and no for others. And even with that, would different choices have led to me being a different person than the one some of you know? Had my life flowed more easily, I might have felt no choice but to stay at the places I was, because they'd have been what I'd asked for. I'd have felt even more obligated to remain static.

About 2 1/2 years ago I began to enter into a relationship which I thought was the answer to many, many dreams. Now, as Garth Brooks sings, thank God for unanswered prayers. Had it worked out, given the direction things were going, I'd have ended up miserable, trying to make an inherently unhappy person, someone who doesn't quite understand the meaning of love, feel better. I wouldn't have taken my Saratoga trip with my son. I wouldn't have had the time to spend to really get to know the people at Radio Paradise.

The future wouldn't be wide open to me, as it is now.

Thanks Housewives. Thanks RPeeps. Thanks to Linda, Kiah, Tracy, Jana and to those who have come and gone, to help me get to this place. I'll do my best with it.

I shall attempt to make my third entry less navel-gazing. Maybe something about my toes.

3 comments:

ResearchGuy® said...

I find navels to be quite interesting. Go with the flow.

Mermaid Melanie said...

Hey, the lint collection from ones navel is some of the most interesting fodder around! each piece has its own story....heh!

as i said on your first entry. Its all the journeys. and the decision you made for you heart sounds like the wisest decision you could have made.

More love and happiness to come...stay tuned to your life!

;-)

Joseph Gallo said...

Yes, with all the navel gazing one might do, beware the presence of unwanted seamen.

(The kind with the white hats & blue chest bows, silly, what did you think I meant)? ;-)

I like to gaze upon my navel as the scar left over from the one perfect time I loved and was truly loved, unconditionally.