Sunday, August 21, 2005

I may not understand, but I accept.

One regret dear world
that I am determined not to have
when I am lying on my death bed
is that I did not kiss you enough!--Hafiz

I just got that from a friend and felt like leading with it. See why I like Hafiz so much?

I had a strange experience tonight. I'm cleaning out my bedroom, and on one of my shelves is a stack of mementoes. A Greg Brown ticket, many DMB tickets, a Lucinda Williams, the printout from my VA trip last summer, and some cards. One of them was a Valentine from my friend, Leslie, with some lovely sentiments about our friendship, and ending with a wish for a lovely V-day with Don, the man I loved. In the card were some photos I had stashed there, one of me holding my nephew, another of my older son playing with one of my nieces. The pics were from the previous Thanksgiving. The last one I came to was of me and Don. I didn't expect it. I stopped in my tracks, as the enormity of love I had had for this man hit me. We looked so happy. I felt certain, safe for the first time in my life. Six months later we broke up on our one year anniversary. As I looked at that picture, I said aloud, 'I had such love for you.'

I really don't understand love at all. I have it. A huge amount, in fact. And I feel at peace with what has happened. Our love was like a universe of its own. It stayed like that for me. I believe love is a choice. You decide whether you are going to really love someone, or you withhold a little part of yourself, so that when you want an out, you can feed that little part, begin to focus on the imperfections, create things to give you pause. Love needs to be fed and nurtured. That's one of the things that led me to be able to let go, realizing that he had such little regard for that love that he preferred to let it die a slow death by neglect rather than address it. A wise friend of mine said to me later, 'Maybe he just doesn't know how to really love.' I think that was the truth.

One thing I learned from that relationship is that I am capable of unconditional love. Without a doubt. I knew I still had the capacity for that huge love and more, but I thought somehow that I had let go of some of that which had been attached to him. When we broke up, I kept thinking of the good times, and there had been many. As time passed and I dealt with the grief, I saw more of the negative, remembered what it felt like to experience his increasingly parsimonious doling out of affection, knew I'd never accept that again.

So the smack of emotion was a shock. Joni Mitchell's voice began running through my mind. 'I really don't know love, at all.' For me, though, I do know love. I just don't understand it. It's outside of all laws and expectations.

Some Rilke came to my mind also, from his Letters to a Young Poet.

Whoever looks seriously at it finds that neither for death, which is difficult, nor for difficult love has any explanation, any solution, any hint of way yet been discerned; and for these two problems that we carry wrapped up and hand on without opening, it will not be possible to discover any general rule resting in agreement. But in the same measure in which we begin as individuals to put life to the test, we shall, being individuals, meet these great things at closer range. The demands which the difficult work of love makes upon our development are more than life-size, and as beginners we are not up to them. But if we nevertheless hold out and take this love upon us as burden and apprenticeship, instead of losing ourselves in all the light and frivolous play, behind which people have hidden from the most earnest earnestness of their existence - then a little progress and alleviation will perhaps be perceptible to those who come long after us; that would be much.

That would be much, indeed.

6 comments:

Alexandra said...

Anna, my goodness. I can relate to this post so very, very much. Especially seeing a picture of the person and yourself together...I am coming up on the one-year anniversary of my magical 4 days with Kris on our coastal road trip. We were so blissfully happy together in all those photos. I really love the part in your missive about not being able to find any explanation or solution. Sometimes, there are just no easy answers. Your self awareness is stunning.

b said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
b said...

The Hafiz started it and the DMB tickets locked it in - for the rest of the post the lyrics of the only song Dave Mathhews song I can play on the guitar kept humming though my head... It's a song about finding a life resolution without regret.

Lie in Our Graves

When I step into the light
My arms are open wide
When I step into the light
My eyes searching wildly
Would you not like to be
Sitting on top of the world with
Your legs hanging free
Would you not like to be ok, ok, ok?
When I'm walking by the water
Splish splash me and you takin a bath
When I'm walking by the water
Come up through my toes
To my ankles
To my head
To my soul
And I'm blown away

I can't believe that we would
Lie in our graves
Wondering if we had
Spent our living days well
I can't believe that we would
Lie in our graves
Dreaming of things that we
Might have been...

arighter2 said...

Love drives the infinite and is therefore not meant to be fully understood. It can, however be experienced in as many manifestations as the orientation of consciousness allows. Here then the purpose of Rilke is to expand, of Hafiz to focus, and of Anna to call attention. To this I say: Yes!

Mermaid Melanie said...

i am not sure love is to be "understood". my belief is that it is to be felt. deep inside, and that is why some souls find that aspect too painful to deal with. Therefore they hide their love behind some type of wall, or defense mechanism. The problem with that is it takes that piece away from the completion of the puzzle of love. leaving an empty space. That those of us with the love in abundance fill in. Waiting for and knowing the right puzzle piece is an adventure in love. One that takes us down many roads, with many obstacles. And yet it makes our love even stronger.

yea tough nut to crack love, but undeniably the best thing around when you find it!

can't wait to meet you, have i said that yet?

;-)

Joseph Gallo said...

I think arighter2's comments fingered some resonant chords for me. Anna, your expressions are so tender and lovingly articulated.

We may not always enjoy the epiphanies that swell over us, sometimes gently, sometimes crashingly, but they are somehow necessary if we are to make our way in this life.

I can certainly relate to your emotions while holding such emblems of the past in your hands and heart. It sometimes feels the way elephants look when they appear to ponder and grieve over a fallen herdmate. Sometimes it feels as if it will never end, that the grieving will just go on and on.

If love is infinite, then the grieving of that love might be infinite too. If it was truly love, then the epiphany comes when we somehow arrive at the acceptance of learning to live with the pain of the grieving.

And if we can learn to live without that which we need to live, life becomes once again liveable. ;-)