Sunday, September 11, 2005

"Has word-finding difficulties"

Language is a funny thing. In the course of having a son with learning disabilities, many labels have come up. One was about the ability to find the precise word. I find that happening to me all of the time, though not to the same degree, and sometimes with funny consequences.

A couple of weeks ago, I went into the living room. Wanting to say 'hey' to my son with an endearing term, a quick succession of options flashed through the tip of my brain...'Honeybunch'...'Sweetums'...'Sweetiepie'.... (My sons are pretty tolerant of their mom).

What should come tumbling out of my mouth, but the worst possible combination, of course,

"Hey, Sweetiebuns!!"

Ah, to have been able to capture the looks on both of our faces at that moment. His slightly uneasy, slightly shocked, slightly amused...mine, the latter two. "Mom. You didn't just say that?"

My explanation as to why followed, along with the assurance that it would surely never come out that way again.

Language, what a ride.

3 comments:

Allan said...

Oh, my. That is funny!

Next time you do that, take a camera.

;)

Anonymous said...

I had a good laugh too!I remember,sorta,when my boys decided they didn't care to be seen with us parents.I so decided to give them public 'kissies and huggies'!...should have seen THOSE faces! *LOL* I will do this till they're in the 40's!

ResearchGuy® said...

Dude. You can always rely on "dude"