Saturday, October 29, 2005

Upswing

Today is better. It's a beautiful day outside, to begin with. I'm done with work, and after I finish this, I'm taking a walk to pick some leaves to mail to a few friends.

This last week was tough. It reeked of death. I watched Hotel Rwanda five times, four with students and once with Matt. Then there was the obligatory accompanying research and discussion. The Iraq war death toll just from US soldiers, not counting the thousands and thousands of others dead, reached over 2,000. To end the death march, on Thursday evening I heard that a young woman who had gone missing from her college an hour away had been found, her body dumped and burned in an old chicken coop along I-55 in Mississippi. It turns out that she was the girlfriend of a former student of mine, with whose father I work. It was a dark, dark week.

The birthday disappointment just came on the tail of that. I felt really alone Thursday, when I heard about the death. I didn't want to email someone, or chat about it. Didn't want to call anyone on the phone. I didn't even want to talk, I just wanted to cry and be held. Knowing that isn't possible right now gave me an ache.

I need to say that I have wonderful friends. I have women and men in my life for whom I thank God every day. Some are physically close, some are far. The worst part about how I felt yesterday wasn't about my friends, it was about me, wondering if I was lacking as a friend. If not hearing from some of the people I love the most was a reflection on how I am with others I love.

So anyway, it's another day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to be your friend! Can I,can I,can I? *wink*
We all have those lonely moments,but you know that don't you?Just seems they show up at the worst of times.
*hugs*
Jay

Mermaid Melanie said...

Dear new forever friend anna.
you are so special. Its just another day dear! and ulitmately you know that. And the day after that will be another one. And you will be happier.

Its hurts me to my very core what humans are capable of doing to each other. Capable and willing to do to each other. It has driven me into solitude many times. Running from the horror that man can be. But like anything, there is the other side! the balance of wonder.

Wish i lived closer and we could have had a long talk sitting in front of a girlie movie, and having a beverage.

BIG HUG HERE! xoxo

;-)